Friday, January 27, 2012

Weekly Update from Rep. Denham


Dear Friends,
 
Tuesday was a significant day for our nation. It marked the 1000thday since the Senate has passed a budget. That’s right; it has been three years since the Senate even voted on a budget.  Every year, I balance the budget for my business, and my wife Sonia and I do the same for our family. I know all of you do the same.  Last year, I voted to pass a budget and 27 job-creating bills out of the House of Representatives; unfortunately, all are awaiting action in the Senate. America’s job creators cannot responsibly plan without a federal budget, which is why I voted Tuesday to pass H.Res.516, a resolution expressing the national importance of a federal budget for 2013.  I also joined a few of my House Republican colleagues at a press conference calling on the Senate to act in the interest of the American people.
 
Coincidentally, the President’s third annual State of the Union Address was also Tuesday. With our district suffering from double-digit unemployment and one of the highest foreclosure rates in the nation, we know the past three years of the Administration’s policies have largely failed us. However, I agree with the President that we must eliminate waste and create efficiency within the government, and I am ready to work with the Administration to create shovel-ready, common-sense construction and infrastructure projects that will improve our communities and get our friends and family back to work.
 
Now is the time for Congress to come together and pass legislation to put Americans back to work, create certainty for jobs creators, and eliminate wasteful government spending. On Wednesday, another independent group,  the California State Auditor issued yet another warning saying that the California High-Speed Rail project has become “increasingly risky” because of the uncertainty surrounding the project’s funding. There are many claims and many hopes for California high-speed rail right now; but the facts in no way support it, and the project should be cancelled.
 
After the House finished votes for the week, I headed back home to visit all of you in the district. On Thursday, I had the opportunity to present well-deserved Congressional Record Statements to the Summerville High School Jazz@8 choir and the Me-wuk Indian tribe formally commending them for their role in last month’s Capitol Christmas Tree Ceremony. Tuolumne County and thousands of California volunteers worked together to create a memorable event, successfully sharing our community with the rest of the nation.
 
Tune in to KYNO radio at 4 p.m. and CBS 47 in Fresno at 5 p.m. tonight, I’ll be on discussing the California High-Speed Rail project. On Monday, tune into KMJ 580 at 5 p.m. and also, if you can make it, I hope to see many of you Monday at my town hall meeting at the Nick W. Blom Salida Regional Library from 6:30-7:30 p.m. I’m looking forward to discussing my goals for the upcoming year in Congress and hearing your concerns and ideas for our community.  Remember to encourage your friends and family to signup for our weekly newsletter, like my Facebook page, follow me on twitter and visit my website. 
 
Have a great weekend.
 
Sincerely,
 
JEFF DENHAM
United States Representative

No comments:

Post a Comment