Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgivi​ng from Rep. Denham



Dear Friend,
 
As we begin the holiday season this week, I want to take a moment to wish all of you a happy and safe Thanksgiving. Political rhetoric and increasing uncertainty seem to be controlling the media coverage these days, but it’s important that we remember the freedoms we have and the potential of our great nation.  Although we have all been disappointed with the outcomes of the Super Committee, we must continue to work towards bi-partisan, pro-growth policies to get the private sector expanding again and people back to work.
 
I thought our debt surpassing $15 trillion would put our enormous challenges in focus and serve as a wakeup call for Congress. After only 10 months in office, I must admit I am frustrated by the same issues I was as a small business owner and father of two just less than a year ago in California.  This disappointment is why I ran for office, and I believe my commitment to put forward pro-growth policies is why I was elected.
 
Last week, I voted in support of an amendment that would have balanced our budget, the fundamental task of our government. The amendment would have forced Congress to balance its budget every year – as all California families and businesses are forced to do. Let's be honest, it's a fact of life- you cannot spend more than you earn.   This amendment failed and the Super Committee failed to achieve its goal; but in the coming weeks, I'm hopeful House Leadership will work to close the gap on these unresolved issues by evaluating bipartisan solutions like my bill, the Civilian Property Realignment Act (CPRA).  I introduced the CPRA in March to literally shrink the size of our government and eliminate waste in order to save taxpayer dollars.  While I do not sit on the Super Committee and I am not the President of the United States, I will continue to put forward solutions that can help us achieve our nation's bipartisan goal: put people back to work and get our spending under control.
 
This holiday season, it is especially important to remember with gratitude and look forward with hope.  For all of you at home, enjoy the time with your family this Thanksgiving. I also encourage you keep in mind those who are fighting courageously overseas for our nation. These men and women are sacrificing their time with their families to protect all we are thankful for.
 
Many times the struggles of our service members are forgotten. This Thanksgiving, let's not let this be the case.  Thousands of troops will be returning home before the end of the year, and it is increasingly important that we honor our promise to our veterans and their families.  We must uphold our commitment to ensure a seamless transition to civilian life for all our veterans. This Thanksgiving, I'd like to thank all of our troops overseas for your sacrifice and commitment.
 
Next Tuesday, I will be hosting a tele-town hall to answer any questions you may have about my Civilian Property Realignment Act (CPRA), recent events with the Super Committee and what this means for our economy and job creation. To be added to our VIP list for the call, click here, call my Modesto office, 209.579.548, or call my Fresno office, 559.449.2490.
 
I hope all of you have a Happy Thanksgiving.
 
Sincerely,
 
JEFF DENHAM
United States Representative

No comments:

Post a Comment